"The Dauphiné is a historical and cultural entity, formerly called Viennese because Vienna was in the past the capital of all this former Viennese province located in the south-eastern quarter of present-day France.
The Dauphiné de Viennois was a state, under the authority of the Counts of Albon, who took the title of dolphins.
This entity appears in ancient Provence, and was a subdivision of the Holy Roman Empire, from its admitted origins in the eleventh century, until its attachment in 1349 to the kingdom of France.
In 1343 the King of France Philippe VI of Valois had decided, during his stay in Sainte-Colombe, and recorded by letters patent dated August of the same year, that henceforth he and his successors to whom the Dauphiné will belong will be called Dauphin de Viennois.
The province continued to expand at the time and acquired its final form in the 15th century.
The Dauphiné de Viennois then became the province of Dauphiné, and retained a certain autonomy until 1457.
During the French Revolution, the province was divided into three departments: Drôme, Hautes-Alpes and Isère.
During the 19th and 20th centuries, part of its former territory was attached to the Rhône department.
Its inhabitants are the Dauphinois."
One can also see his tomb in the village cemetery, about 1 km from the Palace.
Unique in the world, the Ideal Palace "was recognized as a work of brut art. It was classified in 1969 as a Historic Monument by André Malraux, then Minister of Culture, in naive art title. "(Wikipedia)
The church was built at the end of the 19th century in pebbles so typically Dauphinois. Its bell tower was completed with the installation of two melted bells in Lyon. This bell tower also has the oldest bell in the region. It comes from the Célestins convent in Lyon destroyed during the French Revolution.
A collection of stained glass, (master glassmaker Pierre Miciol), is unique by the homogeneity of the design and the exceptional quality of the colors (Wikipaedia).
Remarkable zoo safari-park 40 km from our establishment, the Safari de Peaugres presents more than 1000 animals to discover with family, by car and on foot.
Condrieu is part of the TEPOS project, a positive energy territory with Vienna, "Condrieu Agglomeration".
Elected officials and citizens of the Parc du Pilat have created the Centrale Villageoise de la Région de Condrieu, a first in France, which brings together citizen shareholders who collectively produce energy from photovoltaic installations on private and public roofs.
The famous Condrieu wine is a white wine with controlled designation of origin produced on the right bank of the Rhône, near the village, south of the city of Vienne.
It is an appellation of the vineyard of the northern Rhône valley, between the production areas of rating-roast north and Holy-Joseph South.
The vineyard of Condrieu includes that of the appellation Chateau-Grillet ; only white wine is produced from these two appellations, using a single grape variety, Viognier, which finds its chosen territory here.
The apse of the church is Romanesque with an apse and two vaulted apses.
The four large tuff piles of the crossing are surmounted by capitals: three have plant motifs while the fourth represents a small carved head from the mouth of which leaves foliage (symbol of the word) that is often found in the rhone art. barrel vault. There are traces of paintings and frescoes in particular on the vault of the apsidiole the Triangle of the Trinity.
The exterior porch is made up of two semicircular arches surmounted by three sculpted heads with long mustaches, one on the left, the other two on the right of the Saint George stained glass window. These heads are probably from pre-Christian Celtic art, then recovered from a sanctuary. There is a double stained glass window in the choir representing Saint Peter and Saint Paul, the heads of which date from the sixteenth century. The rest of the glass roof was extensively restored in the twentieth century.
The Romanesque bell tower is squat, quadrangular in the Viennese tradition. It was rebuilt in the sixteenth century in molasse composed of two floors and pierced on the second level with twin windows. In 1741, the church failed to be banned due to its poor condition (the bell tower had burned down and the roof had collapsed). Nothing remains of the Cluniac priory, the elements visible today reflect the 15th and 16th centuries.
A Christian legend tells of how a ghost appeared several times to a priest named Stephen around the priory.
A knight was buried near the church of Manthes. Shortly after, Étienne crosses the neighboring wood and hears the noise of an army. Frightened, he hides in the wood. The deceased knight on horseback stops in front of him to ask for a pardon. He suffers horrible torments for not having confessed two sins. He then asks Etienne to go find his brother Anselm so that he can repair his faults and that he can be delivered. As proof of his statements, Étienne will no longer find the money he had hidden to go to Compostela. In addition, he has already appeared to the knight William of the castle of Moras. But Étienne not finding Anselm could not fulfill his task (Wikipedia)
The Pilat Regional Natural Park is one of the 10 regional natural parks in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.
Labeled in 1974, it is historically the second regional natural park created in the region and one of the first established in France. (Wikipedia)
The Pilat massif will bring you closer to the mountains of the Massif Central and offers, at a distance, quite accessible, multiple hiking trails, excursions, with a totally remarkable flora without reaching enormous difficulties or physical efforts for your desire. walk, with landscapes close to the "sublime".
Superb park and landscaped garden "in the English" with an immense ground and rare and identified arboreal species, aquatic birds on the ponds and vast play areas for children.
Work of the architect Alfred Berryer, the Saint-André church was built in 1863.
It is a sumptuous example of pebble construction from the Rhône corridor, with all of its exterior walls built exclusively in this material.
Celts arrived on this territory including one of these tribes, the Allobroges (people from elsewhere) around the 5th century BC. The territory controlled by this tribe whose capital will be Vienna, will extend from Geneva to Mount Pilat, via Cularo (future city of Grenoble).
Ancient authors, taken up by medieval chroniclers estimate that following a major famine (following Stephen of Byzantium in his Ethnics of the sixth century), many Cretans emigrated from the Cretan city of Viánnos and founded the new city. de Viánnos which later became the Roman city of Vienna. An author even asserting that these Cretans would have come to Gaul on Idomeneus' return from the Trojan War43.
Its off-center location in this territory, which could appear to be a disadvantage, is offset by the importance of the communication routes: the capital of the Allobroges is also located on the Rhône axis. It is on these hills that the Viennese took refuge in case of danger. But the Gaulois establishment also extends below Pipet, on an inclined plane formed by the old dejection cone of the Gère and which goes as far as the Rhône.
Vienna is also a port and, as such, for several centuries, it trades with Marseille, the Greek world, and with Italy.
In the 1st century, Strabo already called Vienne, the capital of the Allobroges. The power of Rome was manifested in Gaul. At the call of Marseille, the Romans crossed the Alps42 in 125 BC. AD and destroyed the capital of the Salyens people, Entremont, near Aix-en-Provence. The Salyan chiefs then take refuge among the Allobroges. They refuse to hand over their hosts to the Romans. It's the war. The Roman army goes up the Rhône. Without waiting for the Arvernes, to which they were allied, the Allobroges engage in combat, near the confluence of the Rhône and the Sorgue rivers. They were crushed, leaving 20,000 of their own and 3,000 prisoners on the battlefield.
As a result, the allobroge city loses all freedom and is subject to the tax that as a vanquished it owes Rome. This tax is very heavy; the Allobroges therefore rebel. Sending two delegations to Rome did not achieve any results. So, in 62 BC. AD, Catugnatos, involves the Allobroges in the revolt. For two years, he stood up to the Roman legions. But the power of Rome is too strong. In 61 BC. AD, Vienna is mentioned in the Gallic War (58-52) from the pen of Julius Caesar45.
During the Gallic War, Vienna was loyal to Julius Caesar. Moreover, it was in Vienna that he set up a reinforcing cavalry corps. Thus, after the war, some Allobroges are rewarded. Around 45 BC AD, Tiberius Claudius Nero, father of the future emperor Tiberius, would have installed in Vienna former soldiers of auxiliary troops, but for a short time, since the day after the assassination of the dictator in 44 BC. AD, they are expelled and will settle in the north, at the confluence of the Rhone and the Saône where, the following year, Lucius Munatius Plancus founded for them the colony of Lugdunum. There were few consequences for Vienna45.
The origins of the Roman colony of Vienna are fragmentarily known, dating back to 44 BC. AD, that a Gallic revolt would have driven out the Romans of Vienna who founded another colony nearby, in Lugdunum. Octave would then have resettled a colony in Vienna. It is rather presumed today that the Romans were driven out of Vienna in -62 during the Catugnatos revolt. It was therefore only under Octave that the city would have received, like Nîmes, the status of a Latin colony.
Vienna quickly becomes an important center of trade and trade with the Mediterranean, the vast warehouses discovered in Saint-Romain-en-Gal bear witness to this. It then extends on both sides of the Rhône51.
It obtains the imperial privilege of surrounding itself with a wall from the 1st century AD. This wall is 7.2 km long, the longest in Gaul; the enclosed area, around 250 ha, also makes it one of the most important towns in the Gallic provinces. Between 35 and 41 it was promoted to the status of a Roman colony. It was an important center during the Roman period, rivaling its neighbor Lugdunum (Lyon). Its monumental adornment built on successive terraces overlooking the Rhône was impressive; many remains bear witness to this: Temple of Augustus and Livia, arcades of the forum, theater and odeon, hippodrome, walls, thermal baths are still partially or totally in elevation. Numerous archaeological discoveries and excavations since the sixteenth century offer the image of a rich and powerful city: coins (Ace of Vienna, Dupondius, etc.), numerous mosaics, frescoes, marble work (statues, columns, etc.) , terracotta tableware, Vienna is distinguished by a production of fine ceramics of the Italic tradition and vases of the Celtic tradition; Similarly, the work of lead (by-product of the extraction of silver), is attested by more than 70 signatures of plumbers which appear in particular on pipes, archaeologists suppose that the local lead mines intensely exploited in the 19 ° century were already so during antiquity, furniture51… The archaeological site of Saint-Romain-en-Gal, one of the districts of the ancient city which stretched on both banks of the Rhône, testifies to this wealth.
In the Lower Empire, the role of Vienne asserted itself: capital of the Viennese diocese, it received the visit of several emperors. In 177, the deacon Sanctus of Vienne was martyred with the martyrs of Lyon, the first mention of Viennese Christianity. In 297 Diocletian placed in Vienna the capital, not only of a province, but also of a diocese embracing all the southern pole. The Province, provincia viennensis included in addition to the territories of the former colony, the territory of the Helviens, Voconces, Tricastins, Orange, Carpentras, Cavaillon, Avignon, Arles, and Marseille, its diocese dioecesis viennensis, stretched from the Alps to the Ocean encompassing the Maritime Alps, all of the old Narbonnaise and all of the old Aquitaine.
Endowed with a bishop at least in 314, it becomes an important religious metropolis.
In 2017, during building construction work, a 7,000 m2 site spread over Vienne, Saint-Romain-en-Gal and Sainte-Colombe was updated, including public spaces, luxury homes, and boutiques. craftsmen and warehouses of goods, corresponding to an old market place of 4,500 m2 with a monumental fountain in its center. A first fire would have forced the inhabitants to leave the premises. Abandoned in the third century, the site fell victim to a second fire and transformed into an elevated granary, later becoming a necropolis in the High Middle Ages, with around sixty burials57, military equipment, chain mail, swords are discovered, as well as many mosaics, and hypocaust, will qualify the site of small Pompeii by journalists.
Vienne turned out to be a meeting point for the roads leading to the passes of the Alps and to the heart of the Massif Central, the capital of the Allobroges is also located on the Rhône axis. On the site occupied, in Roman times, by the sanctuary of Cybele, allows to discover vestiges of the first Allobroges times. This Gallic habitat firstly includes a double oppidum, made up of the hills of Pipet and Sainte-Blandine unearthed in the 1950s, confirms the importance of this urban site: objects of daily life (kitchen utensils , tools, brooches, andirons) stand alongside prestigious objects imported from Italy (bronze tableware, objects linked to the service of wine) 44. It is on these hills that the Viennese took refuge in case of danger. But the Gallic establishment also extends below Pipet, on an inclined plane. It is the permanent habitat revealed by the excavations of the sanctuary of Cybele.
Vienna is also a port and, as such, for several centuries, it trades with Marseille, the Greek world, and with Italy.
In Antiquity, Saint-Romain-en-Gal was a vast residential and commercial district of Vienne (Vienna), then one of the main cities of Roman Gaul. One finds there in particular the Palace of the Mirror. The site extends to the south on Sainte-Colombe-les-Vienne after an empty space of a few hectares.
A first pottery workshop was discovered between 1977 and 1978 80 m north of the archaeological site. It is active from the middle of the 1st century and produces only ceramics with calcareous paste (jugs, mortars, pots with two handles and bowls with receding edge and rounded lip).
Another workshop is discovered northeast of the archaeological site. It is linked to the first phase of occupation of the site 8.
A third workshop left a pit in the House of the Ocean Gods9, and seems to have been slightly earlier than that of La Muette in Lyon (the latter being dated from 15 BC to 15 AD. ) 10. He produced goblets of Aco as early as 20 BC. He also produced lead-glazed tumblers from the 1930's to 15's. Goblets of Saint-Romain bear the only signature of Aco, which is rare in Gaul: this signature without partner / s is only found (in 1985) in Bibracte, Gergovie and Puys-de-Voingt. The series of decorations and punches covers almost all those of La Muette, but is very different from those of Loyasse. In addition, certain vases from La Muette and Saint-Romain were made from the same molds, evidenced by the fact that we find the same defects in both.
Beaurepaire is located in a wide valley called Bièvre-Valloire. It is a valley without a stream, between the Isère to the south and the Rhône valley to the west, as well as the lower Dauphiné plain located further north, a few wooded hills called Balmes Viennoises. separating it from the latter. La Bièvre is the easternmost part, the Valloire where Beaurepaire is located being the westernmost and lowest part of the valley.
It is a lively town, with many shops and a pleasant market, almost southern on Wednesday mornings.
While strolling among the picturesque houses of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, you can explore the Château de Barrin or even appreciate the church which dates in part from the 15th century.
The castle of Lestang from the 12th century is also worth a detour.
Beaurepaire takes place about sixty kilometers from Grenoble or Lyon. It is located in the western part of the department, not far from Pact, Marcollin or Lens-Lestang. Populated since the Middle Neolithic, Beaurepaire was for a long time a land turned towards agriculture and breeding. In the 19th century, it was one of the first towns in Europe to benefit from electric lighting.
This land was a county belonging to a bastard branch of the Capetian house of Bourbon.
This pretty town, very close to the Rhône, with an open-air market on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, is mainly known for the signing of the "Edit" of 1564 which decreed the start of each calendar year set for January 1st.
In 1564 Catherine de Medici, on a trip to present the kingdom to her son Charles IX, stayed with the nephew of Cardinal de Tournon. It was there that she modified the draft text of the Edict which was then presented to parliament and that this famous edict of Roussillon was born on August 9, 1564.
Located at the foot of the Hermitage vineyards, the Cave de Tain is one of the main wine producers in the Rhône Valley, producing 5 grands crus: Hermitage, Crozes-Hermitage, Saint-Joseph, Cornas, Saint-Péray. Founded in 1933, the Cave de Tain is celebrating its 85th anniversary this year. Through a guided tour through the heart of the new cellar inaugurated in 2015, discover the history and know-how of its winegrowers, oenologists, cellar masters ... With more than 300 cooperators and 50 employees, the Cave de Tain vinifies more than 1000 hectares of wine, which represents about half of the appellations of the northern Rhône valley.
The Cellar now offers an organic range in the Saint-Joseph, Crozes-Hermitage, Hermitage, Cornas and Saint Péray appellations.
The guided tour of the Cave de Tain ends with a gourmet break, the time of a wine tasting (in moderation) among the different ranges offered by the Cave de Tain Grands Classiques, Parcellaires and Crus d'Exception.
Continue your visit by browsing the Hermitage vineyards on the “Sur les Pas de Gambert” circuit. 4 km walk in the heart of the sumptuous slopes of the Hermitage.
Installed on the historic site of the Chocolaterie Valrhona, the City unveils the backstage of Grand Chocolat to the general public and professionals. During a gourmet and surprising stroll through the heart of the City, you will discover all the secrets of chocolate making and the range of know-how of Valrhona and its customers. Gourmets and gourmets, amateurs or professionals, come and live a magical experience with this exceptional ingredient that is chocolate!
From cocoa beans to the creations of great chefs, you will be able to explore, smell and taste chocolate in all its forms ... On these 2000 m2 dedicated to chocolate, we will offer you 4 activities: the tour, the restaurant area, the 'Gourmet school to discover pastry techniques and a 200m2 chocolate shop.
We offer you an exceptional and friendly cruise at the foot of the Vercors, departing from the village of Saint-Nazaire-en-Royans in the Drôme, on the Royans-Vercors paddle steamer with its unusual architecture which gives your excursion an air of Louisiana!
You will embark on a trip along the waters of the La Bourne and Isère rivers during a 1.5 hour cruise, in a green setting, where the birds accompany you for a moment of relaxation and discovery, leaving the wheel from the boat turning to the stern ...
Discover the riches of Royans-Vercors through 3 other emblematic tourist sites of the territory. Follow your guide underground in the Cave of Thai and the Grotto of Choranche, two very different underground landscapes. Tune in to a flanerie to the rhythm of the waterfalls of Garden from Petrifying Fountains.
Montseveroux is noted for its Saint-Martin church, the castle and the old hospital
Estrablin is a charming village, with its constructions specific to that of the region: the Dauphiné.
AT St Sorlin en Valloire, imperatively visit its old wash house and its church, built in pebbles from the Dauphiné, like its neighbors of Thodure, of Anjou,…,, Like those, no less remarkable, of .......
..Lapeyrouse-Mornay : in the 19th century, isolated hamlets (Morelles, Lapeyrouse, Mornay Boisvieux, Moras-en-Valloire, Lens-Lestang) demanded the construction of a church and a school, demand raised after the death of Jean Jacques Henri de Barrin , artillery squadron leader, who bequeathed a sum of money and a piece of land in order to build a church, the cure, the town hall, the cemetery and the teacher's house; according to his wishes, these hamlets are now united in this independent municipality.
The parish monument, thus built, presents, by itself, a superb example of Dauphinoise construction.
Moved and Chambalud, where there are 2 churches from each of the 2 villages now united and superbly flowered.
This town, which has many historical monuments, is the birthplace of the French composer and conductor. Hector Berlioz, as well as the seat city of Berlioz Festival, created in his honor and which takes place every year at the very beginning of September, the main concerts taking place in the courtyard of the castle of La Côte-Saint-André.
Do not miss the following visits:
This Romanesque church located in the heart of the city was built between 1088 and 1102, and altered several times until the 19th century48. Romanesque, Gothic and modern styles therefore coexist. The oldest part is undoubtedly the crossing of the transept with its dome on horns.
The church is listed as a historical monument by decree of February 5, 1982.
The superb market hall of La Côte-Saint-André:
Dating from the end of the 13th century, it still houses the market on Thursday mornings. Regularly maintained, it is subject to registration as a historic monument by decree of April 23, 1925.
The castle known as Louis XI:
Located on the heights of the city that it overlooks, and embellished by pretty effects of light (particularly at sunset) which makes it unmissable, this castle is open to public visits as, in particular, ...
The Chocolate Paradise Museum.
The Croisettes castle
This castle, often referred to as the Domaine des Croisettes, was built from 1892 and has an Italian-style park.
Notice the facades, roofs, hall, staircase and park of the Domaine des Croisettes.
The Berlioz farm
The Ferme du Chuzeau, known as the Berlioz Farm, was built in the 19th century; it belonged to the family of Hector Berlioz.
The orchard, the pavilion, the stable, the watering place, the stake and the stable are the subject of a registration as historical monuments.
Like every year, the Berlioz Festival takes place at the Château Louis XI.
The staircase, with its cage and its balustered banister, the fireplace on the ground floor and the room known as Louis XI are the subject of a classification as historical monuments by decree of March 21, 198350. The Castle is owned by the municipality.
The summer festival of classical music, chamber music and gypsy jazz: every Saturday evening from early July to early September
Four "Tell me about the Rhône" discovery trails each tackle a theme linked to the river.
These marked paths accompanied by playful panels allow you to better understand the elements of the territory which surrounds you, nature side and human side, the two being always linked!
For your safety, remember to check our access instructions according to the flows of the Rhône on our home page
Close to St Pierre de Bressieux, this PNR is wild and welcoming; the Natural Park of Chambaran, offers its 300 ha and its 40 km of paths, alleys and paths for you to walk in complete freedom.
At the bend of a valley, at the edge of a pond, along a path, the many inhabitants it shelters: deer, fallow deer, mouflons, roe deer, wild boar, as well as all the many small animals of the forest . About 180 large wild animals live there all year round in total freedom.
On foot, by bike, on horseback, take advantage of the groomed paths and trails, cross the woods and let your senses guide you ...
Choose to come and spend the day there or prefer to stay there for a night, a weekend or a whole week: in our accommodation or on the campsite, you will be the privileged witnesses of the nightlife of the forest.
The Château de Septème is a former 14th century fortified castle, altered in the 15th and 16th centuries, which stands in the town of Septème (Isère).
The site concentrates the ruins of a first castle of the eleventh century, of a wall of the thirteenth century and the current castle whose origins go back to the fourteenth - fifteenth century.
Under Historical Monuments; the ramparts, the remains of the first castle and the rampart walk of the old town are classified by decree of February 12, 1942; the castle, the concierge and the park are subject to registration by decree of February 27, 1947.
In 1355 during the Treaty of Paris, the castle passed to the Viennese dolphins.
Under the reigns of the counts Philippe Ier, then Amédée V, in the second half of the thirteenth century, the castle is surrounded by a "wall of 1 km with archers and walkway". A second keep was built.
Inside the plain castle, a fortified house was built in the 12th century, at the origin of the "modern" castle. It was radically altered in the 16th century by Louis Adhémar de Grignan, governor of Lyonnais.
In 1535, the keep was raised by an arcaded gallery.
This fortress was still used until the middle of the 16th century, then the ruins of the walls and roofs filled the interior up to the level of the first floor. Of this castle there are only ruins.
Charles IX and his mother, Catherine de Médicis, stayed there during the night of July 16 to 17, 1564. The castle was ruined during the Revolution.
Under the Empire, Septème belonged to Count André d'Albon, Mayor of Lyon and the current owners of the Kergorlay family are his descendants who restored it in 1889. (Wikipedia)
"François-Henri de Virieu, ... lively, serious and solid mind, of an unusual intelligence, had acquired a vast culture which led him to deal very closely with questions of interest to his country and more particularly to his province Sincerely liberal, François Henri joined the movement from the nobility and the judiciary against the decisions of the royal power putting the provincial parliaments on vacation.
Notwithstanding, the Dauphinois Parliament met in May 1788 and already evoked the principles of a general reform of government, namely, the convening of States-General, vote of taxes by them, doubling of the representation of the Third Party and vote by head, any measure that the Marquis de Virieu approved.
The governor ordered the exile of the parliament which decided to send a delegation headed by François Henri to Versailles to provide explanations of the events. Very introduced to the court, his credit and his skill succeeded in smoothing out the difficulties and obtaining the convocation of the provincial assembly. But it was then, in the absence of the delegation, that Tile Day occurred on June 7, 1788, the day fixed for the departure of the magistrates.
Grenoble revolted, the governor's soldiers were stoned by tiles thrown from the roofs.
Elected deputy of the nobility to the Estates General, François Henri was one of the 47 members of this order who, on June 25, 1789 met in the Third Estate. Very active, he participated in all the important debates, voted the abolition of privileges on the night of August 4, and, on August 26, "the Declaration of Human Rights". A supporter of a constitutional monarchy, he joined the Club des Impartiaux founded within the Constituent Assembly by moderate Deputies who formed a sort of center right.
François Henri was brought to the presidency of the Constituent on April 27, 1790. He resigned because he refused to alienate his freedom when it was demanded that he took an oath not to protest against any of the decisions of the assembly.
He retired in 1790 to Dauphiné with his family.
He was deeply hurt by the execution of Louis XVI on the previous January 21. Is it clairvoyance that led him to decline the offer of command of the besieged army, foreseeing the tragedy that was going to happen?
He then asks his wife to take refuge in Switzerland with the two eldest daughters, Stéphanie and Eugénie. The last, Aymon, was entrusted to his nanny in Lyon.
In October 1793, he agreed to take the head of the second column. He was killed by a cannonball at the age of 39.
In 1804, La Marquise de Virieu returned from Switzerland to buy back the lands of Pupetières, Grand Lemps and Montrevel. The castle of Pupetières, devastated and burnt during the Revolution, the family of Virieu settled in Grand Lemps. Aymon often came to admire, with his friend Alphonse de Lamartine, the ruins of Pupetières. It was on this occasion that Alphonse de Lamartine wrote his famous poem, the Vallon.
The castle of Bressieux is a former 13th century fortified castle whose remains stand in the town of Bressieux (Isère).
The castle in rolled pebbles was built at the end of the 12th century by Aymard III. It probably succeeds a first castle erected around 1025 that would have built a lord named Bornon and that Aymard I, perhaps at the end of the eleventh century, would then have dug a circular ditch to protect the motte.
The castle of Bressieux, “castrum Bressiacum”, is mentioned in 1207, in stronghold then under the Church of Vienne.
In the middle of the 13th century, Aymard VI rebuilt the brick castle after having partially leveled the walls in rolled pebbles. In 1276 the keep was built and the moat was enlarged.
Aymard de Bressieux paid homage in 1317 to Count Amédée V of Savoy and in 1327 Hugues de Bressieux paid homage to the Dauphin. On the death of Geoffrey de Bressieux, who died without a male heir, the land and the castle came to his son-in-law Humbert de Grolée after a lawsuit between him and Aymard de Clermont.
The castle was the seat of the barony of Bressieux, one of the four that comprised the Dauphiné, erected as a marquisate by King Louis XIII in 1612. Built in pink bricks, it is now open to visitors and is also used for nowadays for life-size role-playing games.
The ruins of the old castle are classified as historical monuments by decree of August 16, 19041.
Follow the route proposed by the town and the map shown below; it will be easier and nothing will escape you!
"The current village of Tourdan is located on a site occupied without interruption from prehistoric times to the present day. From the first traces left by men during their passages in the region ... (especially from the second century BC) AD), the village of Tourdan played a major role in the history of Bièvre-Valloire, as an administrative, religious or even commercial center.
Tourdan was located on a passageway connecting the capital of the Allobroges that was Vienne to Die then Marseille ... It is this village which with the arrival of the Romans, will have undergone an important development to give birth to the city of Turedonum .
From the tenth century, a period of boom was felt. During this century, we witnessed the last Saracen and Hungarian invasions and a religious revival.
After several centuries of silence, the texts speak again of Tourdan. Between 910 and 927, Eve gave the great abbey of Cluny a manse located in Tourdan and another in Moissieu. At that time Tourdan was perhaps the administrative center of a constituency ...
On the religious level, the revival was marked by the creation of the abbey of Cluny which attracted to it numerous donations. This revival was also marked by the multiplication, in the countryside, of small monasteries called priories. The priory of Tourdan which can still be seen today with its 17th century buildings, as well as the Notre-Dame church appeared at this time and are mentioned for the first time in 969.
Tourdan was therefore, around the year 1000, an important center since are located on the territory of the parish a motte-castrale and a Benedictine priory dependent on the abbey of Saint Peter of Vienne. But soon on the hill, an important castle appeared and attracted, under its ramparts, the inhabitants of the surroundings. "(Official site of the municipality)
Note that the village of Revel-Tourdan is located on the path taken by pilgrims (on the route which leads from Switzerland to the town of Puy (Haute-Loire), in order to then continue their journey towards St Jacques de Compostela.
We are facing the Meije massif, a mountain in the Oisans basin, on the north-western edge of the Ecrins massif. It is located at the limit of the Hautes-Alpes and Isère departments.
"La Meije is made up of three main peaks: the highest point, the Grand pic de la Meije at 3,983 meters (second major peak in the Ecrins after the Barre des Ecrins which rises to 4,102 meters), the Doigt de Dieu or Pic Central de la Meije (3,973 meters) overlooking the southern slope and the eastern Meije (3,891 meters), large snowy shoulder (Wikipaedia)